TENANT EVICTION: HOW TO SERVE A NOTICE, WHICH NOTICE SHOULD I SERVE? It really depends on several factors, for example, has your tenant breached any of the terms of his/her tenancy agreement with you? Is the tenant likely to file a defence (even a defence that has no merit) this can make the eviction process protracted? Have you as a Landlord complied with all your legal obligations (e.g. have you registered a bond in time, is there any disrepair?). The most straightforward way to obtain eviction is by serving a S21 notice, even though it is for 2 months, once the 2 months has expired, the tenant should vacate, if they do not, if all the paperwork is in order, then you can apply for accelerated possession, a straightforward and relatively quick procedure. However, if your tenant has breached a term of the tenancy, you may need a judgement against him/her (e.g. rent arrears or damage over and above the bond), in which case a S8 notice should be served for 2 weeks. 2 weeks obviously is better than the 2 months for a S21 notice, but unlike the S21 notice there is always a Court hearing. You may decide that the tenant is usually considered to be a good tenant but has simply fallen behind with his/her rent, in which case a S8 notice with a suspended possession order may be better for you both. We appreciate that this can be complex, so at Newbold Solicitors we offer £50.00 fixed fee for 30 minutes advice on how to serve the notice, which one is the most practical for you and any other housing related issue you may have.